Saturday, August 15, 2009

If you can't beat mental illness....ride it like a bull!!

After speaking with someone that said they never really experience the 'nice' side of Bi-Polar, it got me thinking about how, sometimes it really can be for me. To explain it for you lucky 'normal' people....look at it like the old sayings of "happy drunk" or "angry drunk" Ask anyone that drinks occasionally and they'll know that if you're in a good mood and you get drunk, you are generally a good laugh and things are fun..Drink in a bad mood, and you're far more likely to be an angry person while intoxicated..

Bi-Polar Highs, for me are similar in some ways, if a 'high' comes on when I'm with the kids, playing with my dog, or doing something I enjoy, I tend to simply enjoy it more, the extra energy is focused on fun, crazy play fights with the dog, rather than just kicking the ball...Loads of running around chasing the kids, and making fun of my extremely tolerant wife!! It's not always the case of course, there are the weird ones where I wander around or worse of all......I venture out somewhere...things have a tendency to go on a much different path!

Come to think of it though most of the time, when the highs, are angry, or extreme anxiety, is when I'm home alone, or in the car etc. when I have nothing to focus all the insane energy and ramblings toward..

So I have an idea to try and help the highs be more pleasant...

1) Make sure you have an mp3 with some corny, happy music on it, something to make you laugh..'star-trekkin' 'aga-do' the really corny stuff!!

2) Get a dog!!...My motivation would be much worse than it is if it wasn't for my dog..that important urge to take them for their daily walk really 'gets you off your arse' I have a black lab, well known for their sixth sense, she's comforting when I'm low, and always their when I'm high!

3) When you are feeling stabilized, try and prepare for the next episode, it WILL come again I have to face that..so if you can't beat this crap, beat it!!

a) Set out a load of old crockery in a box, ready for the next time you are angry
b) Paint only half a wall in a spare room, for when your feeling that weird urge to do things round the house
c) Stash loads of chocolate and soppy movies for the lows
d) Buy a go-kart for the highs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't forget to add your name, so i know who you are ;)